Sunday, December 16, 2012

Medical Miracles Day 1,420

Oh how I marvel at the medical miracles I have seen performed in my own husband's life.

This came even more to light on Friday when we returned from seeing his respiratory therapist. He had a new sleep study a couple weeks ago & they discovered his apnea was more serious than they had realized. He has the most common obstructive kind that is often treated with the c-pap machines & that is what he'd had for the past 4 years; but it wasn't improving no matter how high they set the pressure. Turns out he also has the kind that requires a ventilator to take over & breathe for him. When he goes into the deepest sleep his brain doesn't tell him to breathe so he just 'doesn't'. Heck, I've been telling him this for 31 years, now they told him for me. His brain doesn't function right. LOL We did have fun with that one. Seriously, he now has a BiPAP autoSV Advanced. It works on 2 levels for the congestive stuff & will do what a ventilator does, breathing for him, when he stops, until he starts again. Interesting & it can go to 30# of pressure. That is a lot of air pushing in.

So it got me to thinking about the other items. Of course his accident when he flipped the semi in 1989 & only got a compressed fracture of the lumbar vertebrae. Not a bad injury. A very sore back for life; but could have been paralysis. That one the doctors missed so he is stuck with it. He was in the hospital for quite a while for that one, couldn't work for almost a year.

In 2004, they almost missed the aneurysm below his kidneys. We have our PA to thank for catching that. Had he missed it, Eddie would most likely have not survived. It was an artery below the kidneys & we know for a fact of experience it takes the ambulance 30-35 minutes to get to our house. That was replaced with artificial artery that went down into both legs. Looked like a 'Y' shaped inner tube. His arteries in the legs were both blocked more than 97%. No wonder he had no pulse in his ankles & cold feet. Like NO blood flow, duh!!!!

In 2007, I argued with a VA doctor in January that something was not right. She asked me if I thought I was a doctor & dismissed my concerns. In May, he had a massive heart attack & a quad-bypass. Yup, I guess I was a better one than her. They replaced those arteries with ones from his thigh. One of them was too short & had to be spliced together. A medical marvel, 3 were over 95% blocked the other only 87%; but the doctor figured to fix it then was wisest. (She was taken off practice shorty after that.)

It still just keeps me smiling in praises how wonderfully God has made our bodies, how the doctors can do these marvelous repairs to them. I am in constant awe, I live with the proof of His wonder & have seen it in action. I will never understand it; but I am thankful for the wisdom & knowledge that man has been granted to repair our vessels. I thank God often & wonder what it is He has for this guy, I am married to, to do yet on this Earth. There has to be something that is yet to be done; because I have lived with him through 3 times for sure that most would say he should not have lived if not for the Lord's intervention. It will be interesting to see what is to come, I think.....
 Do you ever think about all that they can do???  A young man who is a friend of a friend, just 24, received a new heart.  The process of connecting all the veins & arteries.  The nerves & muscles, what a talented hand that must make & a more talented Creator to design us to work in such a marvelous way.  Then the body needs to accept the heart, so other elements have to be at work to prevent rejection.  
So much of these medical miracles, so many differences made in so many lives....I bet you could think of several too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive input and sharing how you or someone else has 'Made a Difference' ;o)