Sunday, November 18, 2012

Day 1,449

Okay, we are counting down to blessing 1,449

Today I am thankful for what I call God's Memory Garden. I best describe it on a shawl I designed.

I once heard a saying that God gives us a memory garden,
where the flowers of our loved/special ones grow.
Those flowers/memories are there for us to pick when we need them,
& because they never stop blooming
there will always be a flower/memory to comfort us.

This garden can also include events in our lives or even pets. It can include anything that makes a memory. I mean I have several that I was not involved in; but they are there. I remember when JFK was shot, I can tell you exactly how the sisters (nuns) reacted while sitting at my desk in class. I can tell you what I was doing when the Challenger exploded, or when the towers were attacked, how Eddie came into the classroom where we had gathered my students around a television to watch this day in history. He worked just down the street. He was ready to re-enlist his crippled body & serve his country again.  These memories are important, I don't think I would call them flowers; but they are not necessarily weeds.  Maybe thorns that call us to be alert to things?  These are the things that make us aware how important it is to be alert & to make that difference in peoples lives in a different way.  Maybe in a supportive way, when they may be sad or hurting.  To lend an ear or a shoulder.

Some flowers are more beautiful than others, some have thorns, and some may not be flowers at all; but weeds. A garden's beauty is measured by the combination of all & keeping them in balance.  The thorns hurt; but because of the pain the bloom seems to shine even more.  The weeds make an awesome background for the flowers, almost a frame.  In fact some weeds did not actually start out as such.  The dandelion came over as a medicinal item.  The roots can be roasted for coffee, the young leaves & unopened buds can be eaten, the blooms are actually quite pretty & provide bees with a source of nutrition & some folks with wine.  There are many more that are healthy when used properly.  It is all in ones perspective & knowledge, the same with memories.

I am thankful, that this garden never dies. I am even more blessed that God gave me this beautiful , sometimes painful garden to show me that I know I have lived a full & interesting life; but most of all so that each time, before I leave the garden I have the choice to either take with me a weed, a thorn, or a beautiful rose. Yes, it is up to me how I leave the garden once I enter.
 
Last night after the play, I was so ecstatic with joy. As I walked through the memory garden I also stuck my finger on some thorns in regard to the play.   It brought me to my first quilt, Dream Train to Neverland. It is an awesome quilt; but the recipient is not in our lives anymore & that carries weeds & thorns, so consequently tears came with regrets and anger; but as I left I chose to leave those & pick up the rose. The good far outweighed the bad, so this morning I am happy in roses & loving the wonderful time I had and crowing with Peter, though only in my heart. Eddie would definitely be wondering if I was crazy; though he & so many others already know I am.

God bless all of you this morning, may you find a special rose among the thorns today!! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive input and sharing how you or someone else has 'Made a Difference' ;o)